Our Wine-Harvest Experience
The Highlight of our Douro Valley Tours is our new “Wine Harvest experience days where you actually have some gentle participation in grape gathering and even foot-treading of grapes”. As on the Greek island of Santorini, much of the grape-treading is done in this old traditional way. Taylors boast that one of the reasons that their Port can be of such consistent high quality is that 75% of their grapes are pressed in this traditional way. We have timed our tours to fit in with anticipated harvest dates but these are weather dependant. We may need to alter our planned days of the program to tie in with this and in the very unlikely event that we miss the whole of the two-week wine harvest slot, we will provide an alternative fun-filled day.
The tour starts at 11am on Monday 15th September at the Taylors Port Lodge in Vila Nova de Gaia. We’ll have an aperitif on the lawn, then lunch in the terrace restaurant with its splendid vista of Oporto and the river Douro. There will be a tour of the lodge followed by a tutored tasting of five ports. You’ll also have a chance to visit the Taylors Shop.”
After lunch we will have a relaxing cruise on the Douro in a Rabello boat, the boat that used to transport Port from the Douro Valley to Porto from where it was exported around the world.
After the boat trip we will transfer you to a delightful hotel, “The Casa dos Viscondes” near Lamego in the Heart of Douro Valley country. The tour includes:
- 5 nights of accommodation with buffet breakfast at Rural Hotel Casa dos Viscondes da Várzea
- 2 Dinners at Casa dos Viscondes da Várzea (beverages included)
- 1 night of accommodation at the famous five star Yeatman hotel
- 1 dinner at Porto’s top Dom Tonho restaurant
- Rabelo boat trip of 1 hour – the 6 Bridges Cruise
- Harvesting Experience at Quinta da Avessada (tasting and lunch included)
- Train trip to Tua
- Rabelo boat trip from Tua to Pinhão
- Visit, wine tasting and lunch at Quinta de São José (beverages included)
- Visit and wine tasting at Quinta de La Rosa
- Lunch at DOC restaurant (no beverages included)
- Visit and wine tasting at Quinta do Vallado
- Visit and wine tasting at Quinta da Gaivosa
- Lunch at Castas & Pratos restaurant (no beverages included)
- Visit and wine tasting at Quinta da Aveleda
- Visit, tasting and lunch at Casa de Juste (beverages included)
- All transport from the 1st night in Porto until 7th day return to the hotel in Porto.
E-mail us for a full itinerary – email@example.com
The Tour will end in style with the sixth night being spent at the famous Five star Yeatman hotel together with dinner at Porto’s top “Dom Tonho” restaurant. The seventh day will be left free for you to visit Porto at your leisure and catch the flights of your choice.
Total cost of the tour (excluding air fares) £1700 (pounds) based on two people sharing a room, for the dates of 15 – 21 September 2014.
Single person supplement £250 (250 pounds).
To reserve your place with a £100 deposit please click here.